Monday, October 22, 2012

Zoe-Inspired Music! (Part One)

When I see a movie I love a great accompanying soundtrack or score. Music sets the mood in ways that dialogue and setting cannot. And this is especially true when writing because the scenes play out like a movie in my mind. In the early days of writing the book I started a playlist on Spotify with songs that inspired certain chapters or parts. I wanted to share a few of them with you.

1. Florence + the Machine, "No Lights, No Lights"
That long note Florence holds about 3:45 in was the sound I heard when Zoe jumped off the cliff at Potato Harbor. To me that musical moment represents the sense of freedom Zoe achieved when she let go and flew through the air.

2. Metric, "Help I'm Alive"

I've loved this song for a while, and the title exemplifies everything Zoe feels in chapter three after she realizes she's not dead. I love the sense of the song, the kind of dark and pulsating beat that is kind of like a mechanical heartbeat. I love it.

3. Lana Del Ray, "Born to Die"

This is another song where the title embodies the spirit of Zoe more so than the lyrics or mood of the song. I happen to really like the song on it's own, and it's a bit melancholy, so I felt it was perfect.

4. Alicia Keys, "Never Felt This Way"

One of my favorite songs ever, and another song that has a bit of melancholy to it. And yet some hope as well.

5. Muse, "Madness"

Muse is one of my top-five favorite bands of all time. "Madness" is a bit of a departure from the sound I typically love from Muse, but something about this song really sticks with me and Matt Bellamy has a voice unlike anyone else. This song is one of the latest additions to the playlist, and it's one I'm listening to as I go into writing the sequel to "Zoe".

There are many more songs included in the playlist, but these are the ones that have been the most inspirational to me throughout the writing process. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!
-Crystal Cierlak