Friday, August 31, 2012

Sneak Peek #3

Happy Friday! It's time for another sneak peek at "Zoe Thanatos". This week's sampling comes from Chapter Six: A Foreign Visitor.

Please remember that these snippets are not necessarily the final version that will appear in print and are subject to change. If you find any errors please email me. Thanks.

     “Tell them you couldn’t find me.” He really didn’t care how it would make her look. It wasn’t her job to fetch him.
     “They’ll just send someone else to look for you, Evan.” Her tone was resolute. It was an inconvenient truth he had no interest in hearing and he would stubbornly ignore it for as long as he could, the monarch be damned.
     “Well, they don’t know where I am, right? So I have some time.”
     She scowled at him, stood up from the bed and put her hands on her hips. “You’re acting like a fool!” she admonished. A cursory glance at her and it was as if he was looking at their mother, right down to the way her hands wrapped around her hips. He tried to ignore the stabbing sensation in his chest, knowing that tears would follow if he allowed himself to dwell on the past.
     “I just need some time.”
     “How much time do you think will pass before the Stratons grow impatient and send someone after you? What do you think will happen when they find you then? The whole of Terra may be under the impression that we live with the Stratons as their guests, but you and I both know that is not the case. We’re their prisoners, Evander. Don’t you forget that.”
     “Give me a day. Go back to Terra and tell Kyra and Ignatius that I’m on my way back and make sure they don’t send anyone after me. The last thing I need is to see Hector or Alcander showing up at my door.”
     “Why do you need a day? To say goodbye to this girl?”
     Evan rolled his eyes at his sister. “Yes. She’ll want to know why I’m leaving.” At least, he hoped she would. He thought back to her many questions and knew there would more to follow. He didn’t want to have to explain this to her, nor did he want to say goodbye.
     “Does it matter what you say? It’s not like you can tell her the truth.”
     He kept his eyes down and his mouth silent, but could feel her glaring back at him incredulously.
     “What have you told her?”
     “Enough for her to not accept a simple goodbye.” He looked at her defiantly, daring her to challenge him.
Let me know what you think in the comments section!

2 comments:

  1. This really is a great part of the book from it's emotional draw. But this is not even a main conflict in the book. I can't wait for you to release a quote from a highly active chapter that will draw the reader in. This book is fairly multifarious in genra type and offers a great read to a variety of different readers. I love you more than anyone and hope to see the myriad of reactions to this text when you release it through Amazon.

    -Jeffrey Parker

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!
-Crystal Cierlak